Sunday, June 23, 2013

Three Weeks...

As of Monday, Dustin will have been gone for three weeks.  It has been a long three weeks, let me tell you.  However, we are managing to get through.  I did find out today that it will be, at least, another two weeks before he is able to call home.  He is in what is known as the Red Phase of BCT.  This is one of three and the White phase (which is next) is when they earn a phone call home.  Remember, I said "Earn".  I have stated before that the Army has purpose for everything.  If there is one thing I remember from being an Army Brat, it is that.  So, if the team doesn't perform as expected, or if he doesn't perform as expected...no call.  I am okay with that.  (I am actually sitting here thinking that I could learn a thing or two from the Drill Sergeant's).  An occasional letter, is enough for me.  I know he is doing something that is important to him.  I also realized (especially after his first letter) that he is thinking about doing this for a long time.  So, I better get used to it now.  I have been able to view his Battalion's Facebook page and read some of the things posted by other parents.  Some of these young men and women haven't even finished High School yet.  I guess they are doing BCT over the summer, going back to finish Senior Year, and then off to the next step.  I thank goodness I am not one of those parents.  I give them a lot of credit.  Don't know if I would hold up so well.  It is nice to read others stories, though.  Found out I am not the only parent who ran out and sent paper, envelopes, etc..  Not that I would have let it stop me, of course.  lol!  Just nice to know that others are thinking the same way I am.

Dylan and Shelby have been doing better.  Of course, there are times they miss him a lot.  But they have been spending time with their friends and some of Dustin's friends as well.  I think somehow it makes them feel closer to him.  Dylan actually took a nap in their room today.  This is the first time, since Dustin left, that he has done this.  So, we are making progress.  Paul has kept busy and been helping me out.  I have had some minor set backs with my Addison's recently and am trying to take care of it.  Not so easy for a body that doesn't really work well to begin with.  However, I sit and think of what Dustin must be going through on a daily basis.  The training, the weather, and adjusting to a whole new lifestyle.  Then, I look at the rest of my beautiful family.  It gives me the motivation I need.  If he can do it, I can.  Besides, the last thing I want him to find out while he is gone, is that I am in the hospital.  Not good...and not going to happen.

I ask that you keep all of these young men and women (families included) in your prayers.  To be so young, and sacrifice so much is courageous.  I have stated before that today's young people are underestimated.  Most grown adults do not face the decisions and sacrifice these young people will.  I think , if anything, we could learn a few things from today's young people.  Much love and many blessings!!!             
   

No comments:

Post a Comment