Friday, June 7, 2013

He Called!!!!

Well, as most of you know, I got to speak to Dustin last night on the phone.  It was so nice to hear his voice.  It wasn't a long conversation, but enough to let me know he was doing okay.  He sounded good, but I could hear the home sickness in his voice.  He almost immediately asked about his brother and sister.  When I told him that they had taken over his clothes and bedding his reply was, "That's fine.  It's okay."  That was almost a dead give away.  He would have had a cow if he saw Dylan in his clothes and he was home.  So far, it is exactly what he expected.  It's hot there.  When you add a uniform, it's even hotter.  Still no address until next week.  I know once he is able to start getting letters and cards from home, it will help.  Many of his friends are having Open Houses this weekend, along with couple of cousins.  He was pretty upset about missing them.  We promised him that we would try to make as many as possible, on his behalf.  So that leaves us with a pretty busy schedule this weekend.  He is only "in Processing" (like an orientation period) at this time.  It is important for everyone to know that, while we are hearing from him now, there may be a time we go days (or even weeks) before we hear from him again.  We just don't know what to expect once his training officially starts.  I have ready countless stories by other Military parents.  The only thing they all have in common is that they are all different.  It definitely keeps you on your toes.  We have already learned to expect the unexpected.

Paul and I watch as he tries to share as much of his experiences with all of us as he can.  I am sure that it not only helps all of us, but him as well.  He wants us all to experience what it is like for a young soldier the first time away from everything he knows.  I also think it is his way of letting us all see the world right along with him.  I have to admit.  Seeing the picture of him in his uniform was hard.  Not even three weeks ago he was wearing a graduation cap and gown.  However, I can not express to you the amount of pride my husband and I felt.  It's still hard to grasp at times.  This is definitely an emotional roller coater ride.  I am more appreciative then ever to military families before me.  I always said that I could never imagine what they are going through.  Here I am going through it myself.  We all have our different coping mechanisms.  Paul's is keeping busy.  I keep busy, write, and pray.  I am sure I am not the only mom who does this.  I hang on to every text, phone call, or picture I can.  Not knowing, for sure, when I will hear anything next.  It is going to be a very long 16 weeks.  Dustin's group (can't remember what they referred to it as) has to go straight through BCT and AIT.  He is doing both at Fort Sill.  The good thing is he gets to stay in one place for a while, with the same men.  The bad thing is that it is a longer period of time till we get to see him.  Remember...God and country first.  A very hard concept to accept when you have always taught your children family first and to keep in touch so that we would know where you were.  So much for that idea.  lol!  That is why your support means so much.  We have always taught the kids the meaning of family and community.  Now they are actually seeing why it is so important.  We are proud of where we come from.  This little community has the biggest heart.  You have all embraced us and Dustin with so much more then could be explained.  To other military families out there, Words could never express how much appreciation I have for you and your service member.  You all probably sit there and read my entries and probably think "been there, done that" or that I am a crazy narcissistic mother.  I truly am not trying to down play anyone else's situation, and if that is how it comes across...I am truly sorry.  My intentions for this blog are to try to bring awareness to what we as family member's and our service member's go through during this process.  I want to somehow try and encourage people to be more understanding and appreciative for it all.  Maybe help a soldier or his family to find support, when they have none or don't know where to turn.  It is important that we all stick together.  I encourage you (if you would like) to leave your stories or comments about your own experiences.  No pressure, you don't have to.  It might help me, or someone else.  I am thinking of adding a page to this blog where families can post pictures of their soldiers.  It was inspired by a friend who posted her picture of her son as her profile picture on Facebook.  It may take me a little bit to get it up, but I want people to know who they are.  It is also my families way of saying thank you for giving so much.  I will let you know when it is ready.  Much love and many blessings.                                

No comments:

Post a Comment