Saturday, July 6, 2013

The White Phase Jig!!!!!

We have phased to White.  This is the second step in a three step process (Blue is next).  I would be lying if I didn't tell you all that I haven't been holding my breath since Friday.  We had gotten two letters from Dustin on Friday.  He had expressed his frustration with the lack of discipline that some of the recruits were showing.  Apparently, he was afraid that it would cost them the chance to move on.  He was so not impressed with having to write a 500 word essay about why it was important to keep the Bay cleaned up.  I guess they all did.  To be honest, it frustrates me too.  Not just because of the possibility that it keeps them from moving on.  It is also the purpose.  Much of what they train them to do has to do with teamwork.  I, as an Army mom, want to know that he is safe out there.  I need to know that the guys he is with, have his back.  My own lack of confidence in these people bothers me.  I just encouraged Dustin to be positive, be a role model, and show patience.  I pray they come around.  The great thing about White Phase is the privilege to call home.  We haven't spoken to him in a few weeks now.  Not only is it wearing on us, but I can tell on him, as well.  It's funny.  I have waited all week for this night.  The night we find out, whether or not, they Phase into the next step.  The thing that I am the most excited about is the accomplishment that he (and the others) have achieved.  You see, it is one step closer to the goal.  That much further he has come through the process.  My husband and I compare it to watching him bat his first home run or that feeling you get when they win their first football game.  Pride, love, and achievement.  I told him that anything worth doing is never easy, but life is so sweet when you get there.  He is experiencing this first hand. 

Dylan and Shelby are so excited too.  Shelby is the funniest.  When the announcement came over Facebook, she was quiet and reserved.  Then not three post under mine, there it was..."My brother gets to call tomorrow.  I miss that bonehead."  HaHa!  Trust me, that is her beaming.  I am so proud of the young lady she has grown into through this process.  And Dylan shows more maturity then most kids his age.  They do not have a lot of friends with siblings in the Military, so it is hard for them to find understanding.  Couple that with the look people give us when they find out what Dustin is doing, and it frustrates them and us.  Why do people give you that look, or worse...they apologize?  I don't want your apology.  They act as if there is a funeral or something.  I simply want you to smile and say "How nice".  Or a simple, "Congratulations."  We know the risk.  Trust us, we have went over every scenario you could imagine.  There are constant reminders every time we watch the news or read the paper.  But it doesn't change the fact that we are so proud of him.   Face it, he choose to do what only 1% of American citizens are willing to.  Not for a way out, not for the recognition, but because he feels strongly about it.  What more could we ever ask of him?  I will be the first to admit, I was a mess when he broke his news.  But, like Dustin, I have found purpose and contentment with his choice.  I continue to correspond with other mothers and loved ones of the recruits he is with.  I find it helps me to feel closer to him in some way.  It is also precious to me that I can help provide motivation and encouragement to someone else.  It was my intent.  However, I have found that I am the one being blessed in so many ways.  God is so good.  Sure there are bad moments and bad days.  I manage.  I listen to the music Dusty and I share a passion for.  I reread his letters and texts.  I blog, pray, and read my Bible.  Probably shedding tears the entire time.  I am not too proud to say that these moments make me a mess.  I am a mom.  More then that, I am an Army mom.  It is what we do.  More good news came this week.  I found out my sister and I will be able to fly down for his BCT graduation.  All I kept thinking about was that boy at MEPS.  I didn't want that boy to be mine.  He has worked so hard.  He deserves to have someone there.  So on August 16th, I will watch my soldier march in his graduation.  The thought brings me chills.  What an honor it will be.

This week was so full of wonderful things.  I have been sick and it was so needed.  All the stress and the weather had finally caught up with me.  But it is said that when God shuts a door, he opens a window.  That is exactly what happened.  Watching the parade and fireworks with my family were so great.  Added by the constant inquiries by the community about how Dustin was doing made me feel so good.  Not just about his choice, but about where we come from.  I will never tire of saying how much you all mean to us.  You have sent him letters.  You even gave concern and prayer for a soldiers aging dog, who may not make it to see him come home.  I could never repay you or tell you all how much that means to my family.  You are so wonderful.  And on August 16th, when I meet other families, drill sergeants, and soldiers... I will only be the proudest to say that we are from Beaverton, Michigan.  I will be the happiest to say that he is this towns soldier and that you are part of his family.  Thank you so very, very much.  Much love and many blessings!!!!!

This is a picture taken at Dustin's high school graduation with his brother and sister.  Just two weeks before he left.  My Three Musketeer's.  One for all, and all for one.  It has been there theme since birth.  It continues today...and will has the years go on, I'm sure.  

No comments:

Post a Comment