Thursday, July 25, 2013

Inspiration...

I'm back!!!  Ya'll didn't think I'd let a little thing like a hospital stay keep me away, did ya?  Well, it didn't.  Ha!  Came home today to a letter to top all things off.  It absolutely made my day.  Dustin didn't say much that he hadn't already said on the phone.  But he did say that if he would have named his gun, he would have named it "Black Beauty".  Ha!  I have stated before, the boy loves his guns.  A lot!  We have noticed a trend with his letters.  They usually come on Thursdays and Fridays.  Maybe, that was why I was so determined to get home today.  That and the fact that I am way more comfortable here then in any hospital room.  Ha!  It also turns out that there more positives to being stuck by yourself in a room to do nothing but think.  Boy!  Did I do a lot of that!  Tuesday night proved to be a bit challenging.  All I kept doing was worrying about whether he would find out if I was in the hospital before I could get home.  I knew that if I could get home and be on the rebound, he wouldn't want to stop and come home to see me.  You see, if he would have done that, it would have effected his graduation date.  There is no way on God's little green earth I was going to let that happen.  He has worked way to hard and long for that.  We promised him that things at home would be taken care of and that all he needed to do was take care of him and business at hand.  The idea was for him to keep a clear head.  Nothing is more important then that right now.  The other thing I got to thinking about was this blog, and what I want to accomplish with it.  It has become abundantly clear that many of our soldiers are, for whatever reason, in need of encouragement and support.  Many of them do not have families and friends writing them or sending them care packages.  The circumstances are not important.  What is important is that they should feel that someone cares and appreciates what they are doing.  This thought came to me as I opened my hospital room window and noticed that there was a flag waving in the courtyard.  I started thinking...how many have shed blood, sweat, and tears for that flag?  How many have sacrificed time with their families and friends?  How many gave of themselves with no one to care in return?  Dustin was one of the lucky few.  He not only had the support of friends and family, he had a whole town to support him.  A day or two before my unplanned trip to the other side of health care, I had made an announcement that I was thinking of turning Dustin's Journey into an adopt a soldier program.  Now, I know that there are other programs out there, but would one more hurt.  I mean, let's face it, there are a lot of soldiers out there.  Soldiers with loved ones supporting them and soldiers without it.  I would send all of them care packages, letters, and cards if I could.  The truth is I can not afford it and just plain don't have the ability to do it on my own.  So I find myself in a David and Goliath type of situation.  This blog is my sling shot.  So after long conversations with my husband, family, friends, and others with loved ones who have served...I have decided that this sling shot is going into action.  Now, I have much to think about, details to take care of, and most of all, need to get into a state of healthfulness that will allow me to do this.  It is a big undertaking.  But one that I am more then willing to conquer.  I know that there are many with big hearts willing to help.  The key is keeping it organized and running it smoothly.  I want people to know that they are welcome to just write letters and send cards, or send care packages.  The goal is to have as many soldiers as possible "feel the love".  If there is one thing I have learned through all this, and from talking to others, is that soldiers love getting mail.  A lot!!!!

 I never planned for my life to go in this direction.  I always wanted to be a nurse.  I thought that I would be able to love and care for patients, one on one, for my entire life.  Over the course of the last five years it has become abundantly clear that I am not physically able to do so in the manner that I once did.  It has been a very hard pill to swallow.  At times, it completely shattered my heart to think about it.  It wasn't until my son decided to join the Army that I was able to see the bigger picture.  I am not ashamed to say that I learn just as much from my children as they do from me.  In fact, I am proud of it.  I watched the way Dustin just went into this whole hearted.  I watched as many in this small wonderful town embraced him and our family.  All the while, I was thinking what is God trying to tell me?  What is the purpose for all of this?  How do I even begin to payback all of this wonderful kindness.  I am not expecting to touch thousands of soldiers like bigger organizations.  (At least, not at first).  But what I am trying to do is to let at least one amazing soldier (and they all are amazing) know that he is not alone.  That someone stands behind what he is fighting for.  Just like this town has done for my son.  I do not take what Dustin and the other soldiers are doing lightly.  They work hard and get very little in return.  Not to mention the occasional critic, who likes to turn political spins on the advantages and disadvantages of becoming a soldier.  No matter the individuals reason for becoming a soldier, it is a personal choice and sacrifice someone is making to give us the right to live the life that we do.  That, in my opinion, is something to show appreciation for.  We need to show it to them and their families.  If they don't have families, we need to be their family.  We are one nation, under god.  No matter how hard people try, God will always be a part of what we stand for and who service members and their families look up to for strength.  there is not a soul who has read this blog, and not seen how hard this has been on me.  I chose to share my experience to let others know they are not alone.  I have found much healing and support.  I have made friends with people thousands of miles away that I could never imagine living without now.  It has blessed me in ways I could never explain.  It has shown me that my son will always be supported and appreciated.  That the decision that he made was not only right for him, but means something to someone else.  I have always said he will be an amazing soldier.  I do not take all the credit for that, you all know that.  Everyday it is abundantly clear that Dylan and Shelby are following in his footsteps.  They are just as amazing as he is.  I have stated before that I write these words in honor of my dad and my son, and that I do so that my son will not become one of the forgotten.  I still stand by that statement.  Only now, I say let none of them be forgotten.  Let all of them have a name on that Red Cross card of someone that cares.  Let all of them have someone to pray for them and cheer them on.  It takes so little time and effort to make a soldier feel important.  A piece of paper, a pen, an envelope, a postage stamp, and a thank you.  That is all it takes to make a difference.  As I work out the details and get things going I will be updating you.  As I stated, there is much to be done.  First thing is first, I need to get better.  Please know that the love and support you have not only shown my son, but for me as well, is so greatly appreciated.  I have more blessings then I can count.  You are all a part of my family now.  Never let someone tell you that your physical ability can limit you to the difference you can make in ones life.  I refuse to let my disability define who I am and what I can accomplish.  It has taken me a long time to see that.  It has taken an 18 year old son, who has become my hero to open my eyes.  It is true what they say...not all hero's wear capes.  Much love and many blessings!!!!!!!                    

No comments:

Post a Comment