Friday, August 2, 2013

Reaching Back...

Well, it has been a very long week.  I can't even begin to describe the roller coaster that has taken place in this house.  First, we had a house, then we didn't.  Then we had a house, again.  Now we are just waiting to close on Friday.  Paul and I are trying not to get too excited due to everything we have been through.  So, come next Friday, when the papers are signed and the keys are in my hand...I will rejoice.  I hadn't received a letter from Dustin all week.  I didn't really expect to with him being in sick bay.  But today, not only did we receive a letter from him, but from a young gentleman who we sent a care package to.  I can not tell you the excitement and the sheer feeling of contentment that overtook me.  It is amazing that such a small act of kindness can develop into so much more.  The soldiers letter was short.  He simply stated that he was grateful and that I didn't have to send him anything.  He must have spoken to Dustin, because he sated he knew I would anyway.  the most touching part of this whole thing was the picture he added to the letter for Dylan.  It was drawn in pen.  Talk about making a fourteen year old boys day.  Just last night, Dylan yelled out in his sleep, "Shelby, Dustin called."  In his sleep!  Poor kid misses his brother so much.  As far as I am concerned, that care package was worth everything to see the smile on my boys face.  The soldier simply thanked me, but what he doesn't realize is that, I am the one who should be doing the thanking.  Since this whole thing has started, I have learned so much.  Not just about the other soldiers and their families, but myself, as well.  It is amazing what happens to a person when they open their heart and their mind to giving.  This was so apparent as the day went on.  Post after post from other Army Moms with soldiers in Fort Sill indicated that I was not the only one who got my thank you today.  All I can say is these young men and women are so incredible.  When I set out to write them all, I did it just to say thank you.  I wanted them to know that someone cared.  I did not expect anything in return.  Neither did any of the other mothers.  However, many of the soldiers have done that, and then some.  They have sent letters thanking us.  You see, it isn't about the thank you.  Not for us.  It is about the fact that many of them are starting to see that they matter to someone.  It's about them reaching back.  It's about them letting us know that we are making a difference.  I remember telling my husband and my family that if I only made one soldier smile, out of all those letters, I would be happy.  That was enough for me to keep doing it.  That is all I wanted...to brighten a soldiers day.  What I didn't expect was the emotions it brought out in me.  I went from feeling like a helpless Army Mom, with nothing but sadness, to appreciated and valued.  More then anything, I have a purpose.  Much like my son's purpose is to protect and serve this country.  My duty is to protect and serve those that do just that.  It is what we military families do.  Because in the end, that is what we are.  We are one big, supportive, awesome family.  I have managed to find sponsors for 12 soldiers through Dustin's Journey.  Each match I make is like a special gift I have been blessed with.  It isn't much, and Dustin's Journey has a long way to go, but it is a start.  I hope the start to something great.  I never want a soldier to feel as if they sacrificed themselves for nothing.  That they had no one to get them through their darkest times.  If anything ever happens to me, I need to know that someone has my soldiers back.  It's a big job, but it is worth the challenge.  We all need someone. 

Dustin's letter was short, as they mostly are.  He sounds very excited about graduating.  He has come so far in such a short period of time.  Paul and I are so proud of him.  He is doing what most won't.  More then that, he is loving every minute of it.  He will do great things.  He will do them with great people by his side.  They will all have a supportive family to stand behind them and say, "I got your back."  Nothing means more to an Army Mom then that.  In two weeks, we will be standing there watching, as the kids we sent far from home, march as grown men and women.  They will march with pride, honor, and a sense of accomplishment.  They are no longer children.  They are the men and women that make up the U.S Army.  They are our sense of pride, love, and accomplishment.  We gladly give them to you.  All we ask is that you take care of them, the way they are taking care of you!  Much love and many blessings!               

No comments:

Post a Comment